EESA: Early Echoic Skills Assessment and Program Planner – Set
Content updates and corrections for the EESA Guide and Protocol are available here.
The EESA is a unique assessment tool and program planning resource for anyone responsible for teaching early speech skills, regardless of a learner’s age. The EESA focuses on evaluating and developing the ability to echo, or repeat, what is heard.
Why is this important? Because strong echoic skills can support and fast-track the acquisition of other spoken language skills, in contexts that are often more powerful and useful for communication, like asking for things, commenting on one’s environment, and having conversations. So, for early or fledgling speakers, a robust foundation in being able to repeat a language model can lead to more effective spoken interactions.
The EESA Guide and Protocol together form a combination textbook, echoic skills assessment, program planning guide, and materials resource. Throughout, a behavioral training approach is explained, so users can design fun (reinforcing) and effective speech-language programs for their learners.
The EESA Guide includes:
- Introduction. Discusses the behavioral and mechanical basis for speech development.
- Syllable Complexity. Explains elements of syllables that make speech easy or difficult.
- EESA Pretest. Determines if a learner is ready for the full EESA-R test.
- Program and IEP Planning. Discusses skills to strengthen and IEP goal planning.
- Appendix A. Contains supplementary forms and materials.
- Appendix B. Responds to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Appendix C. Offers information about EESA translations and non-English modifications.
The EESA Protocol includes:
- EESA-R. Assesses five groups of increasingly complex echoic skills.
- EESA Work Packet. Guides users through results analysis and target selection.
- Program Support. Discusses a skills-integrated approach to training and tracking language development; contains a 2-page list of program support resources for specific issues of concern.
Looking for the EESA standalone Protocol? Click here!
- The EESA-R Skills Record tracks skill acquisition. It should be inserted in your learner’s EESA-R Protocol between page 6 and 7 (e.g., “6b”). The form allows for tracking EESA-R skills over 4 test administrations. A color-coded sample is included for reference.
- The Target Guidesheet is a form to use in daily sessions, with places to write 2 targets. Write your selected targets and their SC information in the “Working Target Section” of this form. See the reference section at the top for SC components and for an example of how to write a target progression.
BARBARA E. ESCH, Ph.D., BCBA-D, CCC-SLP is a behavior analyst and speech pathologist with extensive experience in behavioral interventions for children and adults. Dr. Esch received her Ph.D. in Applied Behavior Analysis from Western Michigan University under the direction of Dr. Jack Michael and Dr. Jim Carr and her M.A. in Speech Pathology from Michigan State University. She has published research on behavioral treatments for early speech acquisition and aphasia assessment in The Analysis of Verbal Behavior, the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, and the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities. She has presented workshops, training symposia, and research in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Australia, focusing on the use of behavioral procedures to improve speech and language skills for individuals of all ages with a wide range of diagnoses. Dr. Esch is the founder of the Speech Pathology Special Interest Group (www.behavioralspeech.com) of the Association for Behavior Analysis International. She is the author of the original Early Echoic Skills Assessment, part of the Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB-MAPP), published by Dr. Mark Sundberg in 2014, and the new Early Echoic Skills Assessment and Program Planner - Guide and Protocol.
BULK DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE!
- If you purchase 10-19 of this title, simply apply the code DRTL10 at checkout and receive 10% off your order!
- If you purchase 20-29 of this title, simply apply the code DRTL20 at checkout and receive 20% off your order!
- If you purchase 30 of this title, simply apply the code DRTL30 at checkout and receive 30% off your order!